Friday, August 24, 2012

The Waiting Game

Six weeks is SUCH a long time to wait! It's almost unbearable! But, alas, wait I must. I know it will be totally worth it in the end. What am I waiting for? My new necklace that is being made! I am SO excited about this.

About five years ago, a coworker turned me onto Gemstone Roundtables at a local jeweler. I was instantly intrigued, and once I attended my first show, I was in love! I am a jewelry junkie. Straight up, hardcore, without a doubt. If I'm out shopping, I can resist buying almost anything, except for jewelry that I fall in love with. Once I find something, I. MUST. HAVE. IT!!!!! For years and years I ONLY wore "real" jewelry. It had to be real gold with real stones, or it wasn't going on my body. However, as I've gotten older, I've grown to love costume jewelry as well. It can be soooooo much fun! Check out Exhibit A...

A gigantic airplane bangle. Tell me that isn't fab!!! Go on; I dare you.

Anyway, my jewelry style is kind of over the top. The bigger the earrings, the better. The glitzier the bracelet, the better. As the jeweler said last night, when it comes to jewelry I'm a "live wire." So true. The gaudier the better, and I'm not the least bit ashamed to admit it.

My true weakness is cocktail rings. Oh. My. GOSH!!!! I adore cocktail rings, and I'm constantly adding to my collection. Some are considerably more expensive than others, but I adore them all!!!

The crab's claws open and close!!!! Isn't that awesome? It is! And the frog is wearing a crown!

My sister, Whitney, was absolutely repulsed by the toucan. I believe her words were, "Who the hell would buy 'Toucan Sam'?" I whipped my head around, and basically screamed, "Oh, my god. I would! What size is it?!?!?!" I couldn't buy it quickly enough.

Side note: I am in LOVE with the yellow nail polish. It's so awesome. I can't believe I lived so long without yellow nail polish!

So, back to business. Even though I adore costume jewelry, my heart truly belongs to the "good stuff." I had a ring made a few years ago and the whole process was so cool. I had about 20 different measurements of my hand and finger taken, I approved the wax mold of the ring before the actual ring was created out of metal, and then I got to pick my baby up. A ring that is absolutely one of a kind and will never fit anyone else on Earth the way it fits me. And once you've had something custom made, and I mean custom as in making something from absolutely nothing but an idea and a loose stone, you become a little bit spoiled. 

Last night with met with our jeweler (I'm fully aware of how pretentious that sounds, but I don't know how else to word it.) We designed the most gorgeous necklace of white and yellow gold to showcase an opal I bought there probably three years ago. The best part is the design is going to make the opal "removable" so if I fall in love with another loose gemstone, which, let's be honest, is gonna happen, I'll be able to have the new stone bezel set as well, and also wear it in the necklace! The man is a genius! I have a "paper doll" mock-up of the necklace, but I don't want to post it because I don't know what his policy is on design copyrights and what-not. But don't you worry, once I have it in my possession, I will TOTALLY be posting a picture. Now I just have to make it through the next six weeks without going crazy with anticipation!

No comments:

Post a Comment