I created envelopes for each of Ian's morning responsibilities and stuck them at his eye level on the fridge with painter's tape. The tasks go in order from left to right, and he knows to do them in sequence. Once a task is complete, he moves the green card to the front to show that task has been completed. We are still new to the morning school routine, so a LOT of redirection is needed to keep him focused on getting things done, but I'm hopeful that this will really help. He enjoys getting to put the green card in the front and check things off his to-do list.
I used stickers to spell out the task, and then I drew a very rough sketch of the task since he can't read yet. After being asked a zillion times why everything looked so bizarre (I. Can. Not. Draw.), Ian was totally on board with his little task pockets. Now instead of saying "Get dressed" a thousand times, I tell him, "Check your cards" a hundred times. It's the same amount of talking on my part, but he does seem more engaged with this method since there is something to look at. I'm just trying to remember that after four years of daily freedom, this is an adjustment period for both of us. So far, I'm liking it.
No comments:
Post a Comment