Thursday, May 29, 2014

Step 1: Turn on griddle

I sometimes joke that the only difference between public school parents and private school parents is public school parents track the school year by quarters while private school parents track the school year by remaining tuition payments. Tuition sucks, mkay? But, what is it that keeps me writing those checks month after month? It's all about the Montessori, baby.

I profess my love for Montessori education on here all the time, but I can't help myself. I just love, love, LOVE it...because it's awesome. Why is it so awesome? Because it's the exact opposite of helicopter parenting. It's raising children who are strong, independent, confident, fearless, self-sufficient, self-starting, internally driven and motivated. It's about making sure your children are adults when they leave the nest, not overgrown kids. And to see young children doing "grown-up" tasks and taking pride in their ability to do so...it's just a beautiful thing. Kids are capable of SOOOOO much more than adults (especially me) realize.

Case in point: Ian's newest skill from his Montessori education is frying eggs. Before touring his school, I never in a million years would have been able to imagine a five-year-old frying eggs! And, I don't know how to cook eggs, so it was never a skill I was going to teach him. But, here we are. A mom with an extremely confident little boy, and Ian with a desire to share his new skill with his mom.


We got four eggs from a friend of mine who raises her own flock (is that the right term?) of chickens. Oh, I forgot to mention that Ian is now a social activist who is strongly opposed to factory farming and will ONLY eat eggs that come from "happy" chickens who are free to run about in the grass. He will gladly tell you all about it, and I love that he feels a curiosity about where his food is coming from.


Step 1: Turn on griddle.
Step 2: Wash hands.
Step 3: Oil

Spread the oil all around.

Step 4: Crack the egg


Step 4.5: Celebrate your awesome egg-crackin' skills while your little bro, who is mastering cream cheese sandwiches, snaps a pic or two.

Step 5: Regroup when egg gets away from you.

Oops!

Step 6: Crack a new egg

Step 7: Flip egg

Now, the best part of the entire process is the end. At school they teach the kids to set the table with plates, silverware, salt and pepper, and a flower in a vase. Ian was very concerned about the lack of flowers in our house, so he ran out a picked a dandelion and since we didn't have a vase the right size, we used a little Pyrex bowl. Then we sat down together and ate our fresh, happy chicken eggs. It was lovely.


No comments:

Post a Comment