Cole and I have very, very active little boys. Ours are not of the calm variety. They like to be movin' and groovin' all day long. "Nap" is a dirty word in their minds. During the winter naps can be a really big challenge. That's part of summer's appeal....the ability to run them ragged outside and then bring them in for naps. I still only manage to get a nap out of Ian about once every three weeks, but this at least makes it more likely that Eli will nap. But, we have good night time sleepers.
Anyway, it's extremely common to find us out in the yard by 7:30 in the morning during the summer. The boys will run and jump and yell and play outside until 1:30 or 2:00 in the afternoon when they are finally, FINALLY, tired enough to relax and nap or, in Ian's case, have about an hour of quiet time. We don't even go inside to eat; that's an outside activity as well. To assist in the exhausting process, today I inflated the Jumpoline, a birthday gift for Ian from my parents last year. The boys LOVED it, although Eli was pretty irritated that he couldn't get the balls out.
They started by just jumping around but then realized that it was really, really fun to run and dive through the opening and slide across the bottom of it. It was so hilarious to watch.
Ian told me he was a baby dinosaur and the Jumpoline was his egg
Diving through the opening
Sliding to a stop
Jumping like a maniac
I love summer with the boys. It's really exciting to me that we no longer need to stop to change diapers, and if I choose to let Eli skip a nap I'm not ready to run into traffic by 5:00 in the evening. I'm also very grateful that the boys are so happy playing outside. I don't know how I could ever wear them out if they weren't. And trust me, I need the quiet time just as much as they do.
No comments:
Post a Comment