Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Vacation Part 3: Miller State Park

I'm skipping Part 2 for now because I realized ALL of those pictures were on Cole's phone, not the actual camera. So, here we are at Part 3: Miller State Park. Cole stumbled on to this little gem via Google and read that it had a fire lookout tower that guests could climb. The sentimental part of me, which is a BIG part of me, suddenly realized we HAD to go. My very best childhood friend's mother worked in a fire lookout tower the summer between her freshman and sophomore years of college. She is, hands down, the coolest, most interesting person I have ever had the pleasure of knowing, so I definitely had to check this out.

We hiked 1.4 miles and increased our elevation by 800 feet to the summit of Pack Monadnock. It was steep and very rocky and at times a little nerve wracking since the boys still can't fully comprehend everything that could go wrong on a hike like this. BUT, it was amazing! As if I didn't already think I have the most amazing children on the planet, this hike just proved what tough little cookies they are. The boys never complained, did not whine, did not once ask to be carried. They were totally, 110% into it. I can't get over how incredible they were. There's no way most 4- and 5-year-olds would have/could have done this like they did. I think Cole and I are doing something right to instill this confidence and determination in them.



There were spots that were really, really steep. And, yes, I was wearing a skirt.

I'm protecting them from the ledge. We were on a cliff.


I could have stared off in the distance all day long. It was so beautiful.

A few parts were nice and easy.

Some were a little trickier to keep your balance.

Sliding down the side on their hienies.

Top of the fire tower.

View from the fire tower.

Cole and Eli descending the tower.

At the summit

Resting at the summit.


That skyline is Boston...55 miles away from Miller State Park.



When we made it back to the parking lot, the boys were so proud of themselves. They had truly climbed a mountain. I was proud, too. They had hiked 2.8 miles, had an elevation change of 1600 feet (not counting all the little changes on the trail), and finished in under 3 hours. We were keeping pace with groups of adults. It was VERY impressive. Ian now has the bug. He wants to climb mountains all the time. So does Eli.

We all shared a round of high-fives. And, I was happy to tell the boys, "That's something to be proud of. That's a true accomplishment."

1 comment: