Monday, June 23, 2014

Vacation Part 1: Niagara Falls

We just got back from our summer vacation. It was nice to be on vacation, but I'm kind of sad that it's over. I don't have any more traveling to look forward to this summer. :-(

Anyway, the main point of this vacation was to go to Cole's cousin's wedding in New Hampshire. That's a long, LOOOOOOONG drive from home, so we broke it up a bit on the way out with a trip to Niagara Falls. We went to the Canadian side which is apparently the best way to see Niagara Falls. I don't know this for sure because I never looked from the American side. What I do know is that what I saw was amazing.

We stayed at the Fallsview Marriott, and I would definitely recommend it to a friend...or stranger. We somehow got a room upgrade to a High-Floor, Fallsview room and it was incredible. We were on the 20th floor and the mist from the falls was rising up higher than our windows.


 Horseshoe Falls

Bridal Veil

Down the incline rail...

Activity 1: "Journey Behind the Falls"
A series of tunnels have been built under Niagara Falls. You can walk through the tunnels and stand about 6 feet behind the water rushing over the falls.

Big gusts of wind blow the water into the tunnels.

Eli was not a fan, but the rest of us thought it was pretty darn cool.

But the best part of the "Journey Behind the Falls" was the observation deck.
All I can say is, "Wow!"






Then we went to take a look at the falls at lake-level.







They were soooo excited to be at Niagara Falls.

We rode the boat, The Hornblower, around the base of the falls.
(Maid of the Mist serves the American side, and the Hornblower serves the Canadian side.)



Everyone looked like garden gnomes.

Once we got really close to Horseshoe Falls, Eli was over it. We waited inside for Cole and Ian. I was a little bummed because getting drenched is part of the experience, and we only got sprayed by Bridal Veil, the little falls. But when you're four-years-old, I'm sure it's pretty freaky.

And, of course, like any good tourist attraction, the boat tour ended and you were routed through a gift shop. Each of the boys chose a shirt. Eli's declares, "Proud Canadian." We sort of tried to direct him toward another choice, but really, what does it matter? He loves it.

Up next...Vacation Part 2: The Most Incredible Beach for Families in the Continental U.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment