Cole and I agreed that we need to find a way to make sure that the boys are getting one-on-one, or more accurately two-on-one, time with their dad every day. And to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't mind a few minutes in my day without a thirty pound body tightly attached to one of my legs. Say what?!?! Yep, it's true.
My mom got a copy of The Mother's Almanac for me when I was pregnant with Ian, and she bought The Father's Almanac for Cole. These books are great! They were first published in the 70's (Cole and I both have the original editions), so I'm not sure how much has changed in the Revised edition, but I'm guessing that some of the recipes that involve raw eggs (not kidding) have been removed. One of the things about having the older version is that it does not address computers/video games. This isn't really an issue for us now because we don't have video games, don't let the boys use the computer, and have literally two electronic toys that are used only in the car.
This morning I busted out The Father's Almanac to see if some of the activities outlined would be a good fit for the bonding time we are looking to prioritize for Cole and the boys. The book is 375 pages, and it covers a variety of topics in twelve chapters: The Grand Arrival, Babies, Job, Family, Providing, Every Day, Special Events, Teaching and Discipline, Learning with Kids, Playing with Kids, Working with Kids, Keeping a Record.
It has been a while since I last looked through the book, and I was blown away by all of the suggestions that are now age appropriate for our boys. There are all kinds of science experiments, tons of "nature" activities, 14 pages on homemade toys, shadow puppets, and so, so, so many more. (I feel like Will Ferrell in Stepbrothers: "So many activities!") I'm not sure which project/activity I'm going to plan first (I'll have to gather all of the needed supplies before Cole gets home), but I'm sure whatever we choose, the boys will just have a grand old time getting to do a special project with just dad.
No comments:
Post a Comment