Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Best $6.99 I've Ever Spent

This all started eleven months ago on our trip to Houston. We decided to drive all night so the boys would be asleep the entire time, but as things with children often do, the trip went awry. At 2:30 in the morning, after eight hours of driving with six more to go, Eli woke up in the car. He wailed and screamed and threw one massive fit. It was like the real life version of "Don't Wake the Dragon." Cole and I did everything we could to make sure he didn't wake up Ian, including giving Eli Ian's beloved bear, Teddy.

Ian has had Teddy since he was born. My mom was absolutely scandalized that I didn't have a Teddy Bear for Ian so she bought one for him. Teddy has been Ian's trusty sidekick since we switched him to a toddler bed.  We did not realize what a GIGANTIC mistake we were making by letting Eli hold Teddy. Ian soon woke up and for the next two and a half HOURS we heard nothing but ear piercing screams from both of the boys in an epic battle for Teddy. It was horrific.

Over the course of the next week, I scoured Houston, TX, the fourth largest city on the United States, for another Teddy for Eli. No luck. How could it possibly be that in the fourth largest city in the U.S. not a single Teddy replica existed? Everything is bigger in Texas.....except the plush toy selection. I was SO desperate to find another bear. I knew that we had another 16 hour car ride, and I couldn't bear the thought of another screaming battle for Teddy. Every time we saw stuffed animals for sale I would excitedly present the closest option to Teddy and Eli would just shove it away.

We eventually made it home, with years shaved off of our life expectancies, but we made it. Ever since that trip Eli has been trying his hardest to become the sole proprietor of Teddy, and Ian has resisted every step of the way.

The other day I was shopping and out of the corner of my eye, I saw it. It was a glorious sight that sent me running through the mall, completely unfazed by the 80 pounds of stroller/kids I was pushing. We got into the store and Eli followed my gaze as I reached toward a shelf.

"Teddy!!!" he shouted.

That was all I needed to hear. He isn't exactly like Ian's Teddy, but he's close enough for Eli which means he's close enough for me. The best part, he was only $6.99 + tax. (I honestly would have paid up to $200.00 had I found one while we were in Houston. The situation was that dire.) Eli wouldn't even let go of his Teddy for the cashier to ring him up, but we figured it out.

We got in the car, Eli snuggled Teddy to his cheek and said, "I need to go to sleep." And so he did.

When we got home, Eli quickly forgot ALL about his previous bedtime buddies. It kind of broke my heart. I'm attached to Eli's rhino because it's what I used to wean him off of his pacifier just over a year ago. I owe a lot to rhino. I expected at least some kind of attachment from Eli to rhino. I was so wrong. But, I am so happy for Eli. It's clear to me that his heart really, really, really has wanted his own Teddy, and he wasn't just tormenting his brother. Eli adores his new Teddy, drags him all over the house, and snuggles him SO tightly for nap time and bedtime.

So, I must say, "Welcome to the family, Teddy. You are SO very loved!!!"



No comments:

Post a Comment