At the end of September, the boys came in after school one day and were too hot. Eli took off his shirt and I almost passed out. His left arm was covered in what looked like mosquito bites except they were almost green. I fuh-lipped out. As I got to checking him over, I realized they were also around his jawline and a couple were on his right arm. I called around to a few trusted mom friends and quickly decided we needed to head to convenient care. I got to convenient care, and right as I was walking through the door, got a phone call from another mommy friend/neighbor/nurse. She suggests...chicken pox. "I don't think so," I tell her. "He's been vaccinated." And she tells me, "Well, he can still get them."
The pictures are so poor. You can't really tell anything is going on.
I get into convenient care, metaphorical guns blazin', and insist that my kid needs immediate attention because he is having an allergic reaction to something. The registration nurse takes one look at him and says, "I think it's chicken pox. If it is, we have to quarantine you. Let me get another opinion."
Well, what do you know, the next nurse says, "Looks like it to me," and we are whisked away to an exam room. We're in the room 20 seconds and two other nurses come in, look at the little man, and agree...looks like The Pox.
So, after a while a doctor comes in, again says, "It's Chicken Pox," and sends us on our way. I then had to go home and notify the other parents at school that we have a confirmed case of The Pox and unfortunately have exposed everyone else. That's right. Eli was "Patient Zero."
Luckily, Eli only got about three dozen spots over the course of The Pox. Even calling his case "mild" seems exaggerated. But regardless of the severity, we were still confined to the house for five days. Plus, Cole has had Shingles TWICE so all of Eli's care (which wasn't that bad) was my responsibility because we didn't want Cole to possibly get Shingles for the third time at the ripe, old age of 29.
Anyway, it's done and over, and now we have a great "can you believe this?" story to tell.
No comments:
Post a Comment