While we were waiting for Bryan to arrive, I suggested we go to the library and pick out some new books to put into rotation. Ian and Eli both LOVE, L-O-V-E, LOVE to read. They are the biggest book worms, and when things are getting a little out of control around here the situation can usually be neutralized with a little story time. I adore reading to them, and I am so glad they enjoy it, too. The only problem is, I have every book in the house memorized and we have TONS of books. It becomes difficult to get excited about reading "The Ear Book" again when you already know the big plot twist is you can HEAR hands clap. The first time I read the book, I did NOT see this coming. I thought maybe you could see hands clap or feel hands clap but definitely not hear hands clap. The surprise ending turned the entire reading experience into a total thrill. By the 657th time I read the book, I was beginning to see a pattern and I knew that you could hear hands clap and the exhilaration of the discovery was gone. By the way, Ian can also recite this book start to finish.
We walked to the library since it was such nice weather, and it gave me a chance to enjoy the company of just Ian. Eli stayed behind to take a much needed nap. There are days when I find myself aching for one-on-one time with either of the boys, and Sunday was just what I needed. I proudly strolled my gorgeous little boy down the street in my SINGLE stroller. It was amazing to walk down the sidewalk and have all of the stroller wheels on concrete instead of needing to push Eli's side through someone's yard because he is lighter and will leave less noticeable ruts. It was so nice to be able to talk to Ian about something other than why he shouldn't be pulling Eli's hair or why he needs to keep his feet to himself. Someone please tell me why I thought having ONE child was ever difficult.
When we got to the library we wheeled straight to the kids section. Our library is small, but so are children's books, so even a small children's section can hold roughly 4,876,953 books. Of these 4 million + books approximately 80% were unceremoniously ripped from the shelves and cast aside by Ian, leaving me to follow in his wake, cleaning up the wreckage of Hurricane Ian.
About 10 minutes into our visit we heard the steam train coming down the tracks. Our town has an antique passenger train that runs on the weekends and the station is right by the library. Ian is so in tune with trains that he actually heard the engineer pull the line for the whistle and knew the train was on its way seconds before I was able to hear the actual whistle. Of course, we couldn't miss this! Ian took off to find a window and ran so fast he melted a path in the acrylic carpeting. It was like watching the roadrunner navigate through The Labyrinth only David Bowie never appeared. I followed his trail of smoke and found him helping himself to a spot on the radiator where he could admire the gleaming steam engine from the confines of the library. For the next FIFTEEN minutes we watched as passengers enjoyed photo-ops in front of the train and then reboarded. I suggested we return to the stacks and listen for the departing whistle since the train was going to wait FIFTEEN minutes before its next departure. Trust me, this did not go over well. Ultimately, we stood in the window until we could no longer see the clouds of steam leaving the locomotive's funnel. Only then was Ian emotionally prepared to find some new books to read.
Back in the stacks, Ian snuggled on my lap while I read books about every subject you can imagine. It came time to make our final selections and check out. Bryan was about to arrive at our house. Ian was having trouble focusing on making his decisions so I decided that perhaps it was too overwhelming and I should assist him. I decided to check out five books of varying genres. You don't want to read too many murder mysteries novels, or you will get paranoid. By that logic, you probably shouldn't read too many Max and Ruby books or you will begin to think you are in fact a rabbit. I didn't want Ian to simply being reading; I wanted him to be enriching his mind and made my selections accordingly. Here are the books, and their corresponding genres (in case you have trouble finding them in your own library), on our current reading list in case you would like to pick them up yourself.
Commerce
Criminal Justice
Animal Science
Engineering
Travel and Leisure
When we got home Cole told us that Bryan was just a few miles away. I couldn't wait for Ian to see his good buddy once again. He hadn't gotten to spend time with Bryan since around the Holidays if memory serves. We waited outside for him because of course boys are going to want to play outside, and let's face it, who wants a mess in your house when it can be in your driveway. We were only outside a few minutes when Bryan pulled up to the house. YAY!!!!!!! Ian was squealing with excitement and jumping up and down. He ran over to greet his good buddy as soon as he was out of the car.
It didn't take any time at all for the two of them to reconnect and start having fun. There was a lot of action in the driveway. Firetrucks and police cars, bubbles and sidewalk chalk. It was AWESOME! Then it got even better. Bryan had brought Ian a gift. He had brought a sunflower plant. The seed was planted in the soil, but it hadn't begun to grow. Dirt? What an awesome gift. The plant needed to be watered, too. Playing in water? This gift just got even better! Since I have a black thumb, mainly by choice, I let Bryan show Ian how to water the sunflower seed while I stood by with a towel ready to dry off wet hands on the chilly afternoon.
He sprinkled the water on the soil exactly like he was supposed to. He held very still for awile and I thought he was admiring his handiwork. Then he looked up at Bryan and asked, "When is flower come up?" We told him it was going to take a few days, but Ian decided to take matters into his own hands. A few minutes later he picked a violet out of the yard, shoved it into the soil, and announced, "Look. My flower came up!" He was so proud. I can't imagine what he's going to think when we sees the sunflower in the pot.
Here are Ian and Bryan watering the flower.......
Ian and his good buddy, Bryan
What? Were you expecting another two year old? Hardly. Bryan is actually a very good friend of Cole's, but every time he comes to our house Ian high-jacks his attention and it more or less becomes a play date. Bryan recently submitted his thesis and was ready to spend a weekend doing things he hasn't had time to do for the last several months so he came to see us. Eli woke up about 45 minutes after Bryan arrived and was itching to get in on the outside fun. As you can see, we had a great day.
After a little bit we had to go inside because it was beginning to sprinkle. Ian did not like this at all, but he found a way to enjoy the great indoors as well. He requested that Bryan read our new library book, "Farting Dog", to him while I made supper. Aunt Whitney introduced us to Walter the Farting Dog. The Walter books are actually a series, and Ian thinks Walter is great. When I saw that Walter had recently been on a cruise, I HAD to know what capers Walter experienced at sea. And what cruise line did Walter recommend, Carnival, Norwegian, Royal Caribbean?
Dinner was quickly prepared and the boys seated at the table. Cole and Bryan told the boys good-bye and headed out to the Mexican restaurant. Ian was devastated. He bawled his little eyes out for "Byron." It was sad; I knew how bummed he was. He was gloomy for the rest of the evening. When Cole returned without Bryan he was even sadder. Part of the emotions were due to skipping his nap, but most of it was just pure disappointment over a play date that ended too soon.
On a happier note, Monday will bring our weekly play date with the boys' friend and my god-daughter, Keighan, and Ian LOVES to go to Keighan's. They fight like cats and dogs, which I'm confident is due to the fact they are only a couple of months apart in age, (oddly, Ian was born four days after Keighan's mom's birthday and Keighan was born four days after mine.), but he always has a great time.
And that's how we handle our lives, one play date at a time.
You had me fooled! I was expecting another 2 year old! Thanks for sharing your days with us!
ReplyDelete